Monday, September 1, 2014

God's gift of labor

      On this Labor Day, I'm thinking about work.  Duh.
      We don't always love the thought of work, but it's one of the reasons God placed us here--to "Do business till I come." (Lk 19:13)  And God's work comes in all shapes and sizes.  Yep, there's work in an office or hospital or classroom or courtroom or restaurant.  But there's also work in a home, yard, laundry room, or church.  And surely our most important work can be with a sick friend, a teething baby, a grumpy preschooler, a confused teenager, or a lonely college student.
      God gives each of us work to do, in every season of our lives.  Just as summer's heat transforms into fall's foliage,  our work constantly changes in different seasons of our lives, but thankfully our God does not.  Whatever work He's given us to do in each stage of our lives, we're to do it to the best of our ability, offered as unto the Lord and always to His glory...but then trust the results to our eternally faithful and changeless Father.
      "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for me, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward.  You are serving the Lord Christ." (Col.3:23-24)
      I cannot tell you how this radically changed my attitude towards work years ago.  I've been a stay-at-home mama for many years now.  And for a number of those years, I somehow missed the point.  I failed to truly grasp that, yes, my work at home was indeed work, and every single bit of it was to be done with thanksgiving and to the glory of God.  Oh my, when you have that as your goal each day and in every job you need to perform, it radically and completely transforms even the most menial of tasks.
     Back in the day, I had a number of friends who were doing big, splashy, important things while living in the hot shot metropolis of New York. They were traveling the globe in exciting careers--all of which was grand.  Except here I was "wasting" my education while changing diapers, cleaning up cheerios goo, and trying to figure out how to cook a decent meal (still working on that one).  And sadly, I was not alway doing it with a joyful attitude.  Well, actually, let me rephrase that--I was rarely doing it with a joyful attitude.  My attitude might've often been described as slightly resentful.  "I went to college and law school for this?"  Sigh.
      But one day, God in His great mercy and grace revealed the truth to me--this was God-given, God-ordained, and God-enabled holy and beautiful labor!  Every bit of it.  And that which God had given should always be received with thanksgiving and, yes, even excitement.  "For everything created by God is good, and nothing is be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer." (I Tim.4:5)
      God has given me the privilege, the honor of mothering and caring for five eternal souls (well, actually six--don't want to forget about my husband!)  The Lord has bestowed upon me the gift of work to serve and help them and to do it all, all, all to His glory.  Folding clothes in order to love and bless those in our home...and doing it to the glory of God.  Cleaning up a messy kitchen...or reading bedtime stories...or helping with homework...or running to pick up last minute supplies for a project...all to be done as an offering of love for these wondrous souls God has placed in my life, as well as an offering of love and thanksgiving to my Savior.
      Yeah, some days that work is laborious beyond belief.  Some days you feel like shouting, "How about somebody serving me?"  (Hello selfish, prideful sin nature.)  Some days "your get up and go, just got up and went" and you cannot imagine how you're gonna dredge up an ounce of strength to do what needs to be done.  Shoot, some mornings you wake up and wonder, "I've got to this all over again?  I've got to face the insane, blast-from-a-canon morning routine again?  How on earth will I get everyone up, dressed, fed, devotions...oh mercy."
      But those are the days, we have to cling harder to the cross.  Oh how we need Him--every day, every hour, every chore, every unseen,ungrateful, and unkind motive.  When that selfishness and pride start to rear their ugly heads (which for me is daily),  we go to Jesus in our utterly bankrupt estate and ask for His love, His energy, His compassion, His forgiveness, His kindness, His strength.
     And you know what?  That desperately needy, totally inadequate position is the very best place to be--completely dependent upon Him for our next breathe, our next word, our next bit of work, and our next transformation of attitude.
      There's lots more to say about work, in fact, there may well be more on this subject, but for now, let's just God to give us grateful hearts that readily and happily receive whatever work He has for us to do.  Let's offer it all to Him--whether it's working in an office, a school, a hospital, or a home--asking Him to enable us to do it heartily, completely, prayerfully, and thankfully.
      And whatever our work, might we remember that we are to do it all by God's grace and all to His glory.
      To God be the glory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment