Saturday, September 6, 2014

Wonders at dawn

      Early in the predawn darkness, Bingley and I walked out to the street in front of our house for his morning you-know-what.  I was a bit sleepy and preoccupied--thinking of all the evil that seems to be overrunning our world at the moment.  Despite the grogginess and heaviness, I began to pray.
      What God gave me was wonder.
      The black sky was overflowing with sparkling stars.  Where did they all come from?  Even the city lights couldn't hide their dancing presence.  There's nothing like gazing at the heavens to remind you how awesome, vast, and glorious is their Maker.  "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.  Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.  Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world." (Ps.19:1-4)  Wonder in the skies above us.
      Thank You Lord for that reminder--You are the Maker, Sustainer, and Redeemer of this magnificent planet.  And no matter how things may appear,  You are in absolute control and working all things out according to Your mighty and perfect plans.
      Then, as Bingley and I sauntered out to the street, there in the neighbor's yard stood three magnificent deer.  Still, alert, staring at us---or, more specifically at Bingley.  Clueless, he lumbered along doing his thing completely unaware while I stood transfixed, watching them.  Such beautiful, magnificent creatures.  And here they were in the big city--right there in front of us. What a Creator to make such a dizzying array of animals.  Wonder all around us.
      Finally, Bingley noticed them...and took off.  More wonder--watching the joy of a dog running at top speed and the grace of a deer, leaping off into the darkness.  "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights." (Ps.18:33)  I couldn't help but laugh as Bingley came jogging back within less than a minute.  He knew he couldn't catch them, but he seemed to have a smile on his face with the thrill of the race.  And I had to laugh too at the simple joy of it all.
      You know, God's wonders are all around us.  The shrill cry of the hawk, the glint of the sun, the laughter of a loved one, the smell of food cooking, the coolness of a fall morning, the carpet of leaves on the greenway, the warmth of a hot mug of tea, the sound of your child's voice, the joy of holding the words of God Almighty in your lap.
      From dogs to deer, from stars to sizzling steaks, from family to friends...wonder all around us.  All gracious gifts from our Heavenly Father.
      Sometimes we simply forget to open our eyes and behold them with fresh vision and full and thankful hearts.
      Just read this morning an old Puritan prayer from The Valley of Vision: "Thou art my good in times of peace, my only support in times of trouble, my one sufficiency when life shall end.  Help me to see how good Thy will is in all, and even when it crosses mine, teach me to be pleased with it.  Grant me to feel Thee in fire, and food and every providence, and to see that Thy many gifts and creatures are but Thy hands and fingers taking hold of me.  Thou bottomless fountain of all good, I give myself to Thee out of love, for all I have or own is Thine, my goods, family, church, self, to do with as Thou wilt, to honor Thyself by me, and by all mine."
      Yes, Lord, You are our "bottomless fountain of all good," and we praise You for Your every gracious gift in our lives.  As Jon Bloom has written, "all around us reality is dense with wonders, layer upon layer."  Father, would You help us this day to turn our gaze away from all that worries and weakens us and instead focus squarely upon You and Your wonders that surround us at every turn.   From the irreplaceable people You have so generously placed in our lives to the glories, big and small, of Your creation...give us seeing eyes, thankful hearts, trusting minds, and obedient hands and feet.
      To God--our bottomless Fountain of all good, our only Support in times of trouble, our one Sufficiency when life shall end, and our glorious Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer--be all the glory.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment