Saturday, September 15, 2012

His Love in action

     "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."  (John 13:34)
     Just a simple reminder of one of Jesus' greatest truths and commands: we are to love one another as our Savior has loved us.  Of course, we can never love to that extent.  Such sacrificial, infinite, unconditional love that would stretch out arms wide open on a cross to say "I love you this much" and give the fullest measure of love that can be given.  Love that would take upon Himself my sin, my selfishness, my pride, my unkindness, my envy... and yours... and take it painfully, completely, yet joyfully.  And in exchange give us His love, His grace, His peace, His kindness, His righteousness.  All so we could live the abundant life He intended for us and the eternal life He planned for us.
     No, that is not a love I can begin to understand or emulate.
     I can only fall to my knees in wonder and adoration and pray, "Help me, Lord.  Through Your Holy Spirit living within me, help me to love like You do.  This day, might I shine forth Your love to others so that You would be glorified even in this imperfect, sin-prone earth-suit.  Give me more love, Lord.  Love through me."
     For I have seen this love in action, up close and in person,  And it is an awesome and wonderful sight to behold. I am surrounded by love's evidences all around me.  As I write this, I am wrapped in a beautiful handmade prayer shawl.  Evidence of His love.  Thank You Father.  Wrapping me in warmth and in the joyous reminder of the dear love of others in the midst of our marathon.  And that love keeps us running.
     Or I jot a note on a notepad someone has sent us.  Or I gaze at a framed "Hope" sign from someone else.  Or I see the cookies and cakes and candy from others... well, actually, I don't see them, I eat them!  Or I put away the groceries someone else has picked up for us.  Or I take up the folded laundry. Or I smell the lovely flowers sent by someone. Or I enjoy these amazing meals others have cooked.  Or I open the books, read the cards, recall the verses in emails and texts... it just goes one and on: this utterly undeserved love poured out upon us by Your people, Father.  Such love.  Your love in action.  People living out Your command to love as You loved--and evidencing to the world that they are Your disciples.
      There is simply nothing like it.  We will never forget it.  How desperately we want to thank and thank and thank and pass it on so that others might know and feel and experience the love of our Almighty God through His people.
       It reminds me of a little story I heard years ago and have never forgotten.  A young child had just gone to bed and cried out in the darkness for her mother.  "Mama, I scared of the dark.  I'm all alone."  Her mother rushed in and reminded her, "Sweetheart, you are never alone.  Jesus is right there with you.  Right here in this room."   The frightened little one responded, "I know mama, but I need someone with a skin face."
     We have seen Jesus with a skin face.  And He is beautiful and sustaining and strengthening.  His skin face has loved us through this marathon and keeps us running.  And He will do the same for you.
      There is nothing like His love.  Might we all abide in His love today, thank Him for His love today, and then share His love with others today.  So that the world may know His greatness.  To  God--who came and put on a skin face to demonstrate His LOVE--be all the glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment