Sunday, September 16, 2012

The God of the impossible

     Our older daughter just sent us this wonderful reminder of God's promises to claim--especially in the coming days and weeks of Janie's recovery when she (and we) may tend to grow impatient or weary or fearful or frustrated:


You say: 'It's impossible'
God says: All things are possible
(Luke 18:27)

You say: 'I'm too tired'
God says: I will give you rest
(Matthew 11:28-30)

You say: 'I can't go on'
God says: My grace is sufficient
(II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15)

You say: 'I can't figure things out'
God says: I will direct your steps
(Proverbs 3:5- 6)

You say: 'I can't do it'
God says: Through ME you can do all things
( Philippians 4:13)

You say: 'I'm not able'
God says: I am able
(II Corinthians 9:8)

You say: 'It's not worth it'
God says: It will be worth it
(Roman 8:28 )

You say: 'I can't forgive myself'
God says: I Forgive you
(I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)

You say: 'I can't manage'
God says: I will supply all your needs
( Philippians 4:19)

You say: 'I'm afraid'
God says: I have not given you a spirit of fear
(II Timothy 1:7)

You say: 'I'm always worried and frustrated'
God says: Cast all your cares on ME
(I Peter 5:7)

You say: 'I'm not smart enough'
God says: I give you wisdom
(I Corinthians 1:30)

You say: 'I feel all alone'
God says: I will never leave you nor forsake you
(Hebrews 13:5)
  
     Thank You, Lord, for these reminders of Your eternal promises and for Your Word that will never fail.  We will fail; but You and Your Word will not.  Not ever.  
     I just read a verse in our Daily Light that really resonated:  "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path." (Ps.142:3)  There is never a moment in any of our lives where God says, "Oops," or "That one just slipped by Me," or "What a shock!"  Nope, He knows and is in control of all that happens to us or our loved ones.   
     There are no "accidents" in God's economy--just incidents that He allows and that He sovereignly uses to shape us and mold us and make us more like Him, all for our greater good and His glory.  I don't know how He does this--but I've seen Him do it again and again and again in my life and in the lives of others.  
     And now I've seen it through all this with Janie.  I won't say I enjoy this hard process; I wouldn't have chosen it.  But I can say I'm incredibly thankful for all He has taught us and grown us and all the amazing ways He has used this for His glory.  Even at this early stage, I can even say I thank Him for this, for He has shown us in a dramatic and profound way how utterly reliable and strong and great and glorious He is.  We have seen firsthand that If we have Him, we have everything... and He is always enough.  Enough to give us what we need each day. Enough to see us through tough challenges that we could never endure on our own.  
     I can tell you one thing: I know beyond a shadow of doubt that it has not been my husband or me or any of us who has carried us through.  It has been our Savior.  It has not been 75% God and 25% us. Nor has it been 50% God, but 50% us sort of helping God.  It has not even been 99% God and 1% us.  It has been 100% God and God alone.  His power.  His promises.  HIs presence.  His people that He sent over and over again to strengthen us and to encourage us to keep looking and listening to Him.  
     We have learned to listen to, learn from, and lean upon HIm.  Not to the doctors (fine though they might be, and we are so grateful for every single one!).  Not to our feelings.  Not to our brain storming or bank account or abilities or anything in the world that we might possess.  No, it's God... start to finish... who has seen us through and will keep our hope and faith founded on the Rock.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge HIm and He will make your paths straight." (Prov. 3:5-6)  
     Boy, we know that verse. Many of us have memorized it.  But are we living it?  Trusting Him "with all our hearts?"  Leaning only upon Him and not partially upon our own ideas and agendas?  Whew, this is a daily battle for me--headstrong, prideful, selfish girl that I am--but He has proven so powerfully to me over the past three weeks that I cannot do it, never could... but He can. 
      He is always able even when we are unable.  He is always powerful even in our weakness.  He is always love even when we are unlovely.   He is always peace even in our fiercest storms. He is always forgiveness and grace even in our worst sin and failure.  
     He is always Savior and Redeemer even when we reject Him and neglect Him. 
     It's just simply not about us.  Never has been and never will be.  It's all about Him.  Praise God.  And He can handle anything that any of us will ever face--past, present, or future.  We can just rest in Him and His absolute and perfect sufficiency.  
     Believe me, I  quickly tend to forget and start fretting and fussing and failing... but in His amazing grace, He keeps reminding and refreshing me in His Word.  And then I settle down, quiet down, and trust like a little child.  Thanking Him for coming through once again... and again... and again.
      So we will keep running this marathon--all of us, each of us running our marathons... but really He's the One doing the running and working and carrying.  We will just keep looking to Him, asking Him, seeking Him, loving Him and watching Him do the improbable and the impossible.  Because that's our God.  The God who rolls away stones.  The God who brings the dead back to life.  
     The God of the impossible. 
     To God--the God who is all and can do all--be all the glory.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment