Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Door

     Yesterday had been a good day.  Janie's doctors said she was making slow and steady progress.  We had sweet family and friends to encourage us.  I even enjoyed a beautiful walk outside in the warm sun and felt totally revived.  How much I take for granted, I thought, as I enjoyed the sun and the sky and the clouds and the feeling of moving and breathing deeply.  Thank You Jesus for this gift.  Help me to have a heart that is relentlessly thankful for all Your myriad blessings, both eternal and daily--family, friends, laughter, walking, sun, food, fellowship, music, rest, nurses, doctors, saving hospitals, school, teachers, Moses--our sweet old lab, children, hot showers, clean sheets, answered prayer--small and great, friends interceding in prayer, sisters and brothers, chocolate (always got to put that in there), faith, hope, love, stones, salvation, the Word.   Not even close to an exhaustive list to be sure... but just a few things I'm thanking Him for right now.
     But late last night, after such a good day (well, for the most part as each day provides challenges and ups and downs--for all of us), I hit the wall.  All this waiting and praying, waiting and praying, well, I'm learning what frail and impatient people we all are.  Most of the time, we remember the Lord has us.   He totally envelopes us and enables us to patiently wait and trust in Him, knowing we are in His hands and in His perfect timing.  Such a place of joy and peace, truly, where He just seems to carry you along in His grace.
     But then there are those times, when you just hit the wall.  The wall of worry.  The wall of despair.  The wall of why.  The wall where you've utterly come to the end of your strength and hope, and you just cannot imagine any way out.  "Lord," I cried out, "I believe. Help Thou my unbelief."  And after reading His Word and talking with my husband and sister last night, He came and calmed my troubled heart and gave me the best night's sleep I've had since Janie's accident.  Thank You Lord.  Another blessing.
     And He awoke me this morning with this thought: I Am the Door.
     When you hit the wall, the wall of worry, the wall of despair, the wall of helplessness, I am the Door.  I am the Door in that wall that will get you through to the other side.
     I opened my Bible and reread the familiar verses in John 10.  Only this time, they were inexpressibly beautiful to me.  "I am the Door.  If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.  The thief comes only to kill and destroy.  I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." (John 10:9-10)
     He is the Door to salvation, to eternal life.  "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)   He is our Door to salvation, and we must each choose to enter that Door by asking Him to forgive our sins and to be our Lord and Savior.  Thank You Lord!
     But He is also the Door to eternal, abundant life now.  He is the Door to peace in the midst of crisis. He is the Door to joy in the midst of sorrow.  He is the Door to healing in the midst of sickness.  He is the Door to strength in the midst of hardship.  He is the Door to love in the midst of broken relationships.  He is the Door to forgiveness in the midst of sin.  He is the Door to victory in the midst of failure.  He is the Door to Life--with a capital "L"--in the midst of hard waiting when life can seem gray and uncertain.  He is the Door to revived hope in the midst of our toughest challenges.
     He is the Door.  He is my Door. He is Janie's Door.  He is your Door.  He is our Door in good times and bad.  He is our Door even when we hit the most impossible of walls, and He will see us through to the other side--  to that abundant, joyful Life.  He promised, and His promises never ever fail.
     Thank You Lord Jesus for being our Door to salvation.  What a gift.  What a Savior.
     But thank You also for being our Door in our walls of waiting, of worry, of whatever we face in our lives that seem to tell us there is no way out, no way across, no way through.  Because that is a lie from the enemy.  With You there is always always always The Way through, because You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life... and You are our Door.
     Our Lion of Judah is roaring.  He is our Door, and by faith, we will enter through Him and past our walls, into His abundant, eternal Life.  To God, our Door, our Way through always and forever, be all the glory.
   

3 comments:

  1. My dear sister Emily, oh how the Medlin family (and ALL of Christ Baptist) are interceding on your behalf and your precious Janie..... It is now part of my morning routine to read your blog. I rejoice and cry and praise the Lord and shake my head in utter amazement every time I read your words. Emily, I pray you know that you could never ever again teach another group bible study yet you are ministering/teaching/living Christ in ways to mothers and wives and sisters that I have never seen demonstrated. Just yesterday I heard of a mom who attended her very first mom's prayer meeting because she was wanted to understand more about this God who YOU are trusting in!!! Emily, the way God is showing you HOPE is ministering to me in sooo many ways.....I just read Hebrew 11:23 this am: "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is FAITHFUL.". You are living proof of HOLDING FAST to your HOPE. And He is faithful. I praise God for carrying you during this time and for the many many ways He is using you to reflect His glory. Please know that you are not alone in carrying this burden....Galatians 6:2 calls us to "bear one another burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ". I am a true "burden bearer and I hope you walk a little lighter today knowing that you have a sister in Christ who is carrying your burdens. I sooooo remember the last time I saw you at Tyron palace with your Peter and my JuJu. You, as always, shined the Love of Jesus all over your face as we caught up. You shared with me how the Lord was working in your life and what He had equipped you to do this fall as you were beginning preparations for leading your own bible study at your church. Little did you know, but God knew what He was truly preparing you for......thank you for your obedience to His call because as I said at the beginning of this post, you are teaching women in unimaginable ways on how to endure the unthinkable. I love you and I do not ever plan on ceasing to pray for you and your precious family!!!! Love, your sister, Linda Medlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sweet Precious Emily,
    My heart just sunk when I received the news from Betsy and Al Worthington earlier this week of Janie’s horrific car accident. I join Richard and you in praise to the Lord that Janie is still alive and there is hope for recovery. All week I have been thinking of you and praying incessantly for God’s divine healing of Janie, for comfort, peace and strength for you and your family, and for wisdom for the medical team. I have been crying out for God’s grace and mercy on beautiful Janie. I know what a wonderful young lady she is and I loved seeing that adorable photo of her with the little children from Kenya.
    My mind and heart keep racing, and I keep thinking about you and the pain and fear of a mother along with the hope and peace you are experiencing as you watch your beautiful daughter resting peacefully beside you. While it’s hard to come up with words of comfort during this unfathomable situation, the Lord keeps leading me back to Isaiah 49:16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me. The Lord is holding little Janie with the angelic voice in His palms, giving strength to her lungs and frame, giving her peace while she sleeps, comforting her in the stillness of the night, and filling her with His presence. May you be too be filled with that hope that our loving Father in all His strength has her in His palms throughout the day and night as you sit there with her.
    My prayer for you dear Emily and Richard who I know hold on so strongly to God’s Word and are ever trusting, faithful and hopeful is from Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. I am praying that God in His infinite love and care will give you a strength and courage to walk each day, however long it is days, weeks, or months, beyond what you could ever imagine you could muster up on your own.
    Thank you so much for sharing your deepest feelings and fears. Thank you for courageously walking through the door that God has called you to walk through. Thank you for showing all of us how you depend so deeply on the Lord and how in the midst of this crisis, He is blessing you, guiding you, and caring for you. You are helping all of us to grow closer to Him, to trust Him, to rest in Him and to look to Him alone for answers especially in the challenging times.
    I love you and am showering you with hugs and prayers from Colorado!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete