Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday--no match for God!

     "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." (Lam.3:22-23)
     Lord, I needed that reminder this morning.  It's a grey, rainy monday morning, and a coooooold front is moving in.  Cold, as in "Who on earth is going to walk Bingley tomorrow when it's 12 degrees?"  I already know the answer to that question, but still a girl can dream.
     And did you know that today, the first monday after New Year's, is officially the most depressing day of the year?  Well, geez, between this miserable Arctic freeze coming in fast and the dark, damp skies overhead, and the old Monday morning to-do list that is now so overwhelming that I can't face looking at it...well naturally, I had started to forget.  And, oh mercy, can't we all be such good forgetters?  
     We so quickly forget the Lord's steadfast, never-ever failing love.  Forget His grace and mercy that stretches into infinity and beyond.  Forget that every single morning provides a brand new opportunity to experience His goodness, faithfulness, love, and all-surpassing sufficiency to deal with whatever challenges (and opportunities) each new day brings.
     Forgive me, Lord, for forgetting and facing this day focusing upon myself rather than upon You.  Forgive me for dwelling upon the obstacles before me rather than the Almighty Lord who moves mountains with even our most minuscule, insignificant seed of faith.  Forgive me for choosing to rehearse my worries rather than rejoice in Your worthiness and Your gifts in my life.
     Here's what my hero, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, says: "Every new morning is a new beginning of our life.  Every day is a complete whole. The present day should be the boundary of our care and striving. (Matt.6:34; Jas.4:14)...To grasp the old faithfulness of God anew every morning, to be able--in the middle of life--to begin a new life with God daily, that is the gift that God gives with every new morning. Not fear of the day, not the burden of work, but rather, the Lord wakens me."
     So, Lord, thank You for waking me this morning and thank You for this gift of a a new day.  Father, we're back on track!
     And to this dreaded, dreary, award-winning "most depressing day of the year" monday in January, you're no match for the Almighty Lord of unending love, mercy, and faithfulness!  He's given us a brand new day, a brand new week, a brand new month, and a brand new year to start afresh.  Might we live this day by His grace and to His glory.
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment