Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The cold...and friends!

     

Thank You, Lord, for friends--
   (Bingley's friends...or gang really!)
      Thank You, Lord, for the reminder, once again, that gratitude (rather than grumpiness) is a choice.  And thank You for grace when I forget.  Like yesterday...while walking Bingley in ridiculously frigid weather.
     Okay, I need to scratch that word "ridiculously."  Let's choose thankfulness--thank You Lord for allowing me to have legs that can move, hands that can hold a leash, eyes that can see the icy path, and ears that can hear a great podcast while I'm walking Bingley in the refreshingly cold air.  After all, that air did wake me up.  And it was quite peaceful out there on the greenway yesterday morning...as in, we didn't see one other man or beast!
     Yes, even that cold air is to the glory of an Almighty God...a reminder that our Lord is omnipotent and makes the wonderful change of seasons!  Thank You Lord that it's not always hot and humid.  And thank You even that it's not balmy spring weather all the time--otherwise, we'd never appreciate the wonders of fall and spring.  And as much as I prefer warm weather, how I praise God for the ever-changing seasons.  Each season with it's own challenges and joys.
     But back to gratitude for friendship.  Walking in the cold yesterday reminded me that I'm doubly thankful not only for all my incredible friends but also for two wonderful women (beautiful twin sisters, actually) who have helped us with training Bingley and often take him out on long walks with his gang--
  Not only have they saved me from insanity and from occasional murderous thoughts towards our rambunctious puppy, but they have also taken him on some walks in the worst kind of weather.  I was particularly reminded of this yesterday when I couldn't feel my toes or fingers while walking along the greenway.  I was really missing the Boyette girls!  "Remind me, Lord," I prayed, "to be grateful for friends who help us along life's challenging paths...whether walking and training dogs...or encouraging us when the way is tough...or laughing with us when the road is joyful...or crying with us when the path is sorrowful."
     Yep, there's nothing like a good friend...four footed and two.  Young or old.  I love how Henri Nouwen put it: "Friendship is one of the greatest gifts a human being can receive...Friendship is being with the other in joy or sorrow, even when we cannot increase the joy or decrease the sorrow.  It is a unity of souls that gives nobility and sincerity to love.  Friendship makes all of life shine brightly.  Blessed are those who lay down their lives for their friends."
     So today, Lord, thank You for the irreplaceable gift of friendship in our lives.  Help us to share with our friends today what priceless gifts they are in our lives.  And thank You most of all, Lord Jesus, for being the ultimate and perfect Friend in laying down Your life for us.  "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)  Thank You for walking with us, loving us, and leading us through every possible path of life.
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment