Thursday, January 9, 2014

Older...but still burning!

     Okay, just for the record, on this fine day when I've officially grown another year older, I can now fully embrace Henry Fonda's quip from the great, old movie, On Golden Pond.  When his wife (Katherine Hepburn--no wonder this movie was incredible) told him she had met "a nice middle-aged couple just like us,"  he dryly responded, "Ethel, we're not middle aged.  Middle age refers to the middle third of your life.  You're old.  I'm ancient."
     I'm guessing unless people live to a hundred and ten, I'm no exactly middle aged...though maybe I'm still on the back end of "the middle third."  But who's counting?   I'm just thankful to still be here!
     And ancient or not, how can we not thank the Lord for the gift of another day?  One more day to serve Him and bring Him glory.  One more day to love those He's so graciously placed in our lives. One more day to learn what it means to abide in, and depend upon, Him as we grow in grace.
     Yet, the older I get, the more I realize--I can't live the Christian life.  I can't love unselfishly.  I can't think rightly.  I can't show kindness or compassion or generosity.  I can't do what I'm supposed to do or say what I'm supposed to say--or keep my mouth shut when I should!  I can't do squat apart from the mercy, grace, and power of the indwelling Savior.  Apart from Him, I can do nothing.  Nada.
     But with Him, ah, with Him we can do ALL things. (Phil.4:13)  Endure all things.  Forgive all things.  Be content in all things.  Be loving and kind and unselfish and grateful in all things.  We can't do it...but He can.  When we abide in Him and His Word abides in us, well, then He-who-never-fails to fulfill every jot and tittle of His Word, promises: "Whoever abides in Me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me, you can do nothing." (John 15:5)
     Only Lord, keep my love for You white-hot.  Father, You alone know how prone I am to meander and wander.  To get busy and preoccupied and suddenly find an hour (or two...or five...or seven) has flitted by, and I haven't consciously focused my mind upon and lifted up my heart in praise to our forever faithful Emmanuel.  Lord Jesus, I don't want one hour--much less one day--to pass by without a conscious, rejoicing thought of Who You are and Whose I am.  
     What wonderful words I read just this morning from Scotty Smith: "May I never stop singing the last line in the hymn 'O Sacred Heart Now Wounded.': 'Should I fainting be, Lord, let me never, never outlive my love for Thee.'  That's my earnest, impassioned prayer, Jesus.  I don't fear losing my salvation.  I will stand firm to the end because of my standing in grace.  But what could be worse than my love for You to cool down, degree by degree, as I get older?  Don't let that happen to me, Jesus.  Don't let that happen.  What could be worst than to finish the race with an ingrown, icy heart.  I do not and will not trust in my love for You, but only in Your love for me."
     Yes!  Me too, Lord!  We want a love that burns and burns!
     And the really great news?  It's not about our love for God, but God's love for us.  "We love because He first loved us." (I John 4:19)  And like everything else, it's all by grace--and only by grace--that we can love the Lord...or anyone else.
     So, Lord, as we grow older, keep Your grace flowing and keep our love burning.  One hour at a time. One day at a time.  One year at a time.  Might we never, ever outlive our love for Thee.
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment